“There are many ways to the top, and the training method you choose is just the one that suits you best. The important thing is the attitude of the athlete, the desire to get to the top.”
– Herb Elliott
Last night as I was lying on the couch, my hamstrings started to tighten up on me. I’m sitting there seriously thinking, how is this possible, it’s my quad that’s sore, not my hamstrings. I know that everything is related and a tight quad definitely means a tight hamstring..but not 2 tight hamstrings! So then I realize that all those crazy hamstring balancing exercises that I did earlier in the day must have done it. You know, the ones I said didn’t do anything and I didn’t understand why I was even bothering with them…yeah those. So I put my legs up on the top of the couch so the blood wouldn’t go in them but of course I woke up today feeling like I had a butt lift. I kid you not, my butt is 2 inches higher than it was yesterday…I should be taking pictures to compare. Good thing I’m wearing jeans today cause I’ve never had such tight hamstrings and butt…now if only I could walk, that would help. LOL…I’m amazed at how good the workout yesterday was and I’m thinking I’m going to keep doing them on days when I need cardio but don’t feel like running.
I could choose a Get Strong workout and count them as weights, but there’s no way I can do that much cardio today so I decided to stick to my regular weights workout.
To get warmed up, I started with a Tabata interval. The 4 exercises I choose today were:
- quick squats
- mountain climbers
- jumping jacks
They were easy on the thighs and didn’t work much upper body since I was going to do weights right after.
- Chest – Standard Push up – 10/10 Once again could not do 1 proper push up, it’s getting very annoying. I used to be able to do them, but now that I’ve started working out I can’t?! What the…anyways, I went down to my knees and did them as well as I could.
- Back – Wide Front Pull up – 12/10 I used the pull-up assist machine but I took off the knee support and used my leg to push me up as I needed it. I find I get a better back workout this way than using the weights to lift me up since I need more help at some points than others.
- Shoulders – Alternating Shoulder Press – 12/10 I stuck with the 20s but was able to do more than last week, so at least my shoulders are getting stronger!
- Chest – Military Push up – 8/8 Back on my knees here. I was going really far down, my nose was touching the ground and that was using barbells to press! But the coming up was pretty brutal. I’m sure the 7th and 8th reps were ugly and I lost my form but I didn’t want to stop until my chest & triceps were done.
- Back – Reverse Grip 45 degree pull up – 12/10 This exercise always goes well, and I did more than last week. I was feeling it in my hamstrings before I felt it in my back…lol
- Shoulders – Dumbbell Upright Front Raises – 10/10 Yup, shoulders have definitely come a long way. Using 12.5 I was able to do more than last week and my posture was great.
- Chest – Wide Push up – 12/12 I was able to use dumbbells for this one now. I didn’t push them out away from me like last week, I was actually pushing them and had the strength to hold them in place. The number of reps was pretty good too so I’m happy with this one.
- Back – Dumbbell bent-over row – 12/12 This one felt awful as I needed my hamstrings to stabilize me and they didn’t want to. I kept switching the front leg to try to distract myself from the pain in my quads. My back was good though (in case you forgot I was doing a back exercise). I did 12 reps using 20 pounds.
- Shoulders – Lateral Raises – 15/12 I stuck with the 12.5s and killed it today. Sadly I’m going to have to go to 15s on this next time as 12.5s are no longer cutting it.
- Biceps – In & Out Bicep Curls – 12/12 I’m still using 15s and I’m not going to higher on this one. I struggle at the end of each set and my posture starts to go so for now I’m good.
- Triceps – Chair Dips – 15/12 I don’t know where the 15 reps came from but it was terrific…I’m wondering if I kept more of my legs on the ball than just my feet which would make it a bit easier but I’m not sure, so I’m chalking this one up to bionic triceps!
- Biceps – Crouching Cohen Curls – 8/7 I went back to 15 pounds today but instead of just squating, I used a wall to stabilize me so my form didn’t go and I was able to concentrate on the biceps and not my screaming hamstrings. And look at that, I did proper sets instead of the weak 4 reps when I first tried this exercise 2 weeks ago. Until I can do 10 of each I’ll keep using the wall for stability.
- Triceps – Tricep Kickback with twist – 12/12 I used 12.5’s today, but I just don’t feel I get the full extension on this exercise. For the second set, I did tricep extensions instead, holding the 15 pound dumbbell with both hands. This one felt a lot better, I felt the whole muscle working!
- Biceps – Hammer Curls – 10/10 Using 15s and I was killing it with 10 reps! I love this exercise.
- Triceps – Side-Tricep Raises – 12/12 (on each side) Yeah this wasn’t happening today either, I think I need to put this one as my first tricep exercise because by the time I get to this I can’t hold myself up. But then I wonder if I could do tricep dips after this….I might end up falling on my butt. I went back to tricep pushdowns! I still kept it at 12.5 pounds but I was able to do 12 reps. Not too shabby for a final exercise.
So overall, my shoulders, biceps and triceps are definitely getting stronger. It seems that my chest is getting weaker but I’m sure that has something to do with the fact that everything is tired and not helping out as much….or maybe all the exercises I did yesterday actually worked my chest and I didn’t realize it. Regardless, I’m going to stick with this workout for a couple more weeks and maybe throw in some more Nike Training workouts as well.
I’m going to do an hour of gentle yoga/stretches tonight to try to get all the kinks out of my legs…but first I have to work on getting out of this chair…
14 down, 166 workouts to go…