I was a keener this morning! I’m not sure what got into me but I got up early, went to the gym for the 6:45am spinning class as my warm up for my weights workout.
Spinning this morning was an RPM class at Goodlife. The instructor was great, very upbeat and motivating. I usually don’t like RPM classes as they don’t vary for the whole 3 months while they have the same release, but since I haven’t done it before, it was new for me. The one great thing about them was that the music is mixed professionally so it’s always amazing and gets you moving. The annoying thing is that they have all these breaks in the middle of songs and times when you ‘stretch’…the class is only 45 minutes long, there’s no reason to stop and stretch in the middle of it or to ‘take it easy’…I’m sorry to be so blunt but I think too many people spend way too much time ‘resting’ and ‘stretching’…you’re at the gym, WORK!
To keep pushing myself, I didn’t slow down to stretch or rest in the middle of the songs, I kept up the same intensity and kept going. I wasn’t disrespectful either and sat when the class was sitting, was up when they were, I just had my legs going faster and didn’t have my arms up when they did. The last song was amazing and I was able to really push myself, feeling everything working and the sweat drip…a lovely image I know! Oh and one more complaint…the woman next to me was drinking a flavoured mineral water drink…WTF…that’s beyond ridiculous…can you not drink water? Your working out, your body needs water, not some artificially sweetened, fizzy nonsense…ok I’m done my rant.
I was pretty tired when the workout ended, but since my weight workout is purely upper body, I was confident that I could do it. I switched a few things up based on the last time I did this weight workout, which was last Thursday.
- Chest – Standard Push up – 6+8/12 Finally I did 6 proper push ups, but had to go down to my knees once my back started straining. I can’t believe how much more difficult push ups are when you take your hands back in line with your elbows…but I’m glad I’m finally doing them right.
- Back – Wide Front Pull up – 12/11 I used the pull-up assist machine but I took off the knee support and used my leg to push me up again. The second time around I was too tired so I used the knee support to crank out 11.
- Shoulders – Alternating Shoulder Press – 15/10 I was shocked that I did 15 this time, it’s pretty awesome but I could feel it the second set as my arms turned to jelly.
- Chest – Military Push up – 8/8 Back on my knees again but at least I was able to keep my back straight and posture controlled as I did these…my triceps are slowly getting there, whether they like it or not 🙂
- Back – Reverse Grip 45 degree pull up – 15/12 I was able to do so many more this week, and finally had to stop because my forearms were hurting. It’s clear that my back isn’t getting as much of a workout as it could be but my arms are weaker and they cannot hold my body for too long. Still, I’m going to have to keep doing this if I have any hope of getting across those Monkey Bars during Tough Mudder.
- Shoulders – Dumbbell Upright Ts – 8 & 6/6&6 I changed this exercise this week from simple front raises to shoulder T’s. I didn’t think to jump on the Bosu like the guy in the video, but still got a great workout. I started with 12 pound weight but had to drop to 10 pound mid set as my back was starting to get involved. I think this is a more complete exercise than just the front raises so I’m going to stick with it going forward.
- Chest – Wide Push up – 10/10 I didn’t do as many as last week here, but they felt good and my arm muscles started shaking at 10 so I had to stop…
- Back – Dumbbell bent-over row – 15/12 Still using 20 pounds, I was able to do 15 reps the first time…sadly I’m going to have to go to 25s next week, which I’m not looking forward to. Or maybe I’ll use the bar instead, that might help stabilize me a bit…we shall see.
- Shoulders – Lateral Raises – 10/10 I went up to 15s here as last week I had done 15 reps the first set. 15s didn’t feel as bad as I thought they would and I was able to pump out 10 sets…I’m very happy with that.
- Biceps – In & Out Bicep Curls – 14/12 Hmm…I don’t want to go up more than 15 pounds here but it’s looking like I might have to soon…they better have 17.5 dumbbells at the gym or else I’m screwed…there’s no way I can do 20 pound bicep curls. Maybe I’ll find a spotter at the gym…haha
- Triceps – Side Tricep Raises– 14L, 14R/12L, 12R Since for the past 2 workouts, I haven’t been able to do any side tricep raises at the end of the workout, I thought I’d see if I could actually do the damn exercise and I put it first this time. I was able to do them and quite a few of them so I don’t feel as bad anymore. It’s clear that I just need to do them earlier in the workout.
- Biceps – Crouching Cohen Curls – 8/7 I stuck with the 15 pound weights and the wall and I was strugggllliinnnnggg to do the last reps of both sets. My feet were twitching as I was trying to get the weights all the way up. I have my iPhone on when I workout so I can’t hear myself but I’m pretty sure I was one of those annoying groaning people at the gym for this one…apologies to all those around me!
- Triceps – Chair Dips w/ ball – 12/10 Now that I did this one second, I expected to fall off the ball and the bench, but I didn’t. I didn’t do as many as last week, which makes sense but I did a decent amount. My right arm started to give out and my left was over compensating (I’m a leftie so it’s a pretty common problem for me but I stopped).
- Biceps – Hammer Curls – 10/10 Still using 15s and not really budging the numbers here…my arms are pretty beat at this point
- Triceps – Side-Tricep Pushdowns– 14/10 I kept the weight at 12.5 pounds as the next weight up is 25 pounds and there’s no way I can do that. I might try to find those small weight to attach to the stack to get 15 pounds on here.
Overall, this workout was amazing but pretty long. I was at the gym until 8:45am, exactly 2 hours. My weights workout took an hour this time, probably because I was tired from spinning and I took 15 minutes to stretch properly, my legs and arms. Oh, and I used the foam roller which is quickly becoming my best friend.
23 down, 157 workouts to go…