“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
Another year, another challenge and this time it’s BeachBody’s The Asylum….30 days of digging even deeper, Shaun T promises to make me run faster, jump higher, hit harder and WIN…
Day 1: The Athletic Performance Assessment included nine 1-minute long exercises to track my starting point.
Warmup – It’s been a while since I used a skipping rope and I have to say I was struggling to get into the groove. A few years back I did Muay Thai for a while and got pretty good at skipping, but I’m sad to say that my muscles seem to have forgotten it all. I’ll definitely need to get back into it.
Fit Test: Here are my initial numbers for each exercise in the fit test:
- Agility Heisman – 10 reps – once I got into it, I found this pretty easy, but having played soccer, I’m no stranger to the agility ladder. Plus, having small feet is an advantage as I had no challenge not touching the ladder
- In and Out Ab Progression – 37 reps – this one sucked…my quads and shoulders gave out before my abs did, and I had to focus on not letting my lower back take the stress
- Pull ups/ push-ups – sadly I couldn’t do any pull ups, so I started with lat push-ups instead. I did 18 in the minute
- Mountain Climber Switch Kicks – 54 reps – I don’t think I did these as quickly as I could have as I didn’t tire as much as I was expecting
- Agility Shoulder Taps – 6 ladders – I couldn’t quite get into this and I my rhythm kept getting thrown off. I’m sure once I get the hang of it I’ll be able to do more
- X Jumps – 35 reps – I was trying to jump high and still keep my form on this, I thought I went pretty quickly, I’m not sure how much more I’ll be able to improve here
- Moving Pushups – 2.5 ladders – yeah this was pretty dismal…and frustrating
- Agility Lateral Shuffle – 11.5 ladders – again, this is where my years of soccer came into play as clearly my legs aren’t lacking for speed and agility
- Agility Bear Crawl – 6 ladders – so there was nothing agile about this, I seriously felt like a bear coming out of hybernation…this was brutal and by the end I couldn’t hold my body up in plank
With the fit test out of the way, I’m going to take my Day 1 pictures, measurements and weigh myself…which might be more painful than the workout itself!